Wednesday, 24 June 2015

Here It Is: Laneige BB Cushion SPF 50+ PA+++ in #14



I posted 'Should You Buy a Cushion Foundation/BB Cream' back in March and now I'm finally going to review one of the cushions that I've been using a lot this past year. It's the Laneige's BB Cushion SPF 50+ PA+++ in #14 and, surprisingly, it's been one of my favourite cushions for the warmer and Autumn months.

I'm really liking cushion BB creams and foundations because they give a clean, natural and youthful finish. They're portable, easy to use and the sponge applicator is a real star that I've been pairing with my concealer and liquid foundations.



But on to Laneige!

Usually, the BB Cushion casing is white with silver on the side but I was gifted with a limited edition compact. Laneige was doing a crossover with pushBUTTON, a Korean fashion label, and I got this awesome case with dogs (the green bits!) on it.
BB Cushions are crazy powerhouses. Most claim to have multiple functions and Laneige's offering is not any different. This cushion is said to have 6 benefits including:
  • brightening 
  • sun protection
  • hydration
  • water resistant
  • a natural coverage 
  • cooling sensation upon application


The version I have has been upgraded from Laneige's initial BB cushion and 3 notable ingredients have been added to increase the cushion's effectiveness in brightening and hydrating the skin.

MelacrusherTM technology
This patented technology helps to break down and remove melanin which causes skin discolouration. Formulated with green tea extracts and Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), this assists in brightening, evening out and making the skin more radiant. 
Bead Tree Extract
This protects the skin from harmful external environmental and filter pollutants such as cigarette smoke from penetrating the skin. This will help prevent skin pigmentation and reverse any dullness on the face.

Natural Mineral Water
The water comes from South Korea's Jeju Island and is said to be absorbed into the skin faster than other mineral waters. This will give the skin immediate hydration.



I think all of that is great but, when it comes to cosmetics, I'm more interested in how they perform on my actual skin. 

I always see bloggers describing foundations as giving a 'natural finish' to base products that I've always felt to be anything but. So I'm careful with the way I describe products, considering my 'natural' may not come out 'natural' for you. But trust me, yhis BB Cushion makes you look like you're wearing nothing at all and that your skin tone seriously looks that even and healthy. 

I think the sponge applicator is what is helping the finish look so natural. I've tried it on other liquid foundations and they finish much better than using my fingers or a Real Techniques Buffing Brush. My concealer is actually looking more natural thanks to it, so it must be the sponge applicator. It's a pain to wash but I love it.

I've never used BB creams before so I'm not sure how cushions and creams compare. But compared to a liquid foundation, the cushion is great for those days when you want to go for that 'no make up' look. In terms of coverage, this is very buildable after the first application and it is possible for you to build it up to a slightly medium coverage. Otherwise, I'd say that it covers better than a YSL Touche Eclat Foundation but it's not to the extent of a NARS Sheer Glow Foundation.
 
A quick summary of the key ingredients in the new Laneige BB Cushion:
1. Melacrusher Technology – Effectively breaks down and removes the melanin veil that causes dullness of skin. Formulated with truffle yeast, green tea extracts and Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Melacrusher Technology renders an extremely brighter, radiant, and even-toned complexion.
2. Bead Tree Extract – Acts as an anti-pollution whitening component that protects the skin from the harmful external environment and filters pollutants, such as cigarette smoke, to supply oxygen. It suppresses the generation of pollution antennas from external pollution to prevent skin pigmentation and turn lacklustre skin into a glowing one.
3. Natural Mineral Water – Rich in minerals collected from the green region of Jeju Island, this active mineral water is absorbed into the skin faster compared to general mineral water for skin’s immediate hydration from the inside out and for better moisturization.
- See more at: http://blog.moonberry.com/new-laneige-bb-cushion-with-melacrusher/#sthash.3VbDc7YK.dpuf
A quick summary of the key ingredients in the new Laneige BB Cushion:
1. Melacrusher Technology – Effectively breaks down and removes the melanin veil that causes dullness of skin. Formulated with truffle yeast, green tea extracts and Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Melacrusher Technology renders an extremely brighter, radiant, and even-toned complexion.
2. Bead Tree Extract – Acts as an anti-pollution whitening component that protects the skin from the harmful external environment and filters pollutants, such as cigarette smoke, to supply oxygen. It suppresses the generation of pollution antennas from external pollution to prevent skin pigmentation and turn lacklustre skin into a glowing one.
3. Natural Mineral Water – Rich in minerals collected from the green region of Jeju Island, this active mineral water is absorbed into the skin faster compared to general mineral water for skin’s immediate hydration from the inside out and for better moisturization.
- See more at: http://blog.moonberry.com/new-laneige-bb-cushion-with-melacrusher/#sthash.3VbDc7YK.dpu



What this means is that, if you have blemishes, then it will cover them slightly but don't expect them to disappear.

I have some pimple scarring that is starting to fade but, with the cushion on, you can still see them. However, because my skin tone looks more even with the cushion on, they kind of fade into the background and I look more 'put together'.

I don't like to retouch a few hours later because I found that it can look cakey. That's one of the biggest cons because cushions in general don't last very long. This one lasts about 4-5 hours and then it starts breaking down. But I don't really mind it because, when it starts to wear off, it still just looks like my own skin. I also don't wear powder with any of my base products because my skin looks drier with it.

Having said this all of this, when it's an important occassion, I will opt for a liquid foundation that lasts the day.




The (not so good/clear!) swatch above is #14 Pink Beige, which I've been told is pinker and not a colour that people commonly purchase. I own the yellower shades #13 True Beige and #21 Natural Beige, but they've been too light and a bit too dark respectively. I am quite fair and there is a tendency for fairer skintones to be more neutral or to have some pink in the mix. This is why I was given #14 by a friend to try. 

The colour isn't a perfect match but I actually don't mind because the pink is very flattering on me. It suits me better than #13 but it still slightly too light for the summer months. It's perfect when the weather starts to cool and I start to get paler and paler. 

Surprisingly, the cushion stays put on my face during the warmer months and is moisturising for the early winter months. At the height of winter, I need to moisturise pretty well otherwise any dryness will be emphasised because the cushion sits so closely on the skin.





Like most BB Cushions (with the exception of Innisfree, I think!), this one comes with a refill and a brand new sponge applicator is included. If I use the cushion everyday, it will last me around 7 weeks. But if not, it could last me around double that.

I really, really recommend this cushion. I think this would be perfect on normal and dry skin types. I'd imagine that combination skin types might not like the dewy look and would like something more matte. However, it's not the most hygiene cosmetic product, especially if you retouch around midday.

The biggest issue people will face is trying to find the right shade. I have a couple of cushions from a range of brands and I'm the happiest with this #14.

My advice is try as many cushions in person as possible. Believe me, #13 in one brand is not the same as #13 in another. Trust me. Read about the different finishes out there because, no, not all BB cushions are the same. There are subtle differences that will make a difference!


What are you thoughts on cushion BB creams/foundation?





18 comments:

  1. Oh my. Is this limited edition packaging? It's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's adorable, right?! Laneige did a crossover with the fashion brand pushBuTTON!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! I *might* even come off my no-buy for this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to get my hands on a BB Cushion so bad! The fact that it has such a high SPF is awesome, and I was really blown away by the whole bead tree extract bit. Helps protect the skin from cigarette smoke penetrating?! I didn't even know that was possible but heck anything to keep my skin healthy haha.


    I'm so in love with this compact too, the only part I'm a little concerned about is the wear time since I can sometimes end up wearing makeup for 8-9 hours straight during work but I always set my face with a million layers of face powder so I might be able to stretch the wear after all. I'll definitely add this to my list of things to try out! :)


    eightbitbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahah when I first read that it protects the skin from pollution like cigarette smoke, I thought 'that's awfully specific...' LOL. I have no idea if these ingredients work or not but the cushion's effect is very nice!

    I've never used this with powder but I have a feeling that you could prolong it with some. Do give this a try if you can! But yes, for longer days, I'm really liking Bobbi Brown's new serum foundation. Surprisingly long lasting and quite moisturising too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, another cushion compact review from you! :)
    Target has this at a decent price but I'm afraid the color system is totally different. I only see 3 quite dark shades avail in the U.S.
    I was still looking at IOPE ones (it is hard to shake off the old stereotype about Laneige, because I have known this brand from 10 something years ago when it wasn't that great), but now I'm so intrigued. So you say you like this one better than IOPEs? ;) I might order one soon off eBay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is def on my too tyr list but color matching is so difficult. from your experiences, i'm not sure there will be a good color match with this brand so yea, you're right, try as many other as i can. maybe something will work out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the pushbutton serum lipsticks! those are what i want for that collab. so frickin hard to buy here

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so jealous of this! I've always wanted to try out laneige bb cushions!

    They seem to give a really natural finish ^^

    Lauren xx | laurlauu . beauty . fashion . life . blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. I heard those serum lipsticks were amazing!

    I'm in the process of setting up my own blog shop and I'm trying to hunt them down right now! Any particular you were after?! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. They're definitely worth trying out, even if it's just on the back of your hand. At first, I just didn't understand the whole cushion craze but, once I tried it I was so hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is very difficult to get the perfect match because the shade ranges are so limited! Some of the brands only offer shades 13, 21 and 23, and they're geared to fairer skin tones. Some brands that are launching in the west have come out with a few more shades, so keep a look out for them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Lena! Thanks for sharing this on your Twitter! x

    Yeah I've heard that the shading system at Target is a bit different. I'm still mind blown from the fact that Target actually stocks Laneige! I don't know how many years it'll take before us Aussies start seeing an Asian brand in Target!

    But yes, I remember the days when Laneige wasn't as great! They've really invested in their marketing. They're just about everywhere in Hong Kong! The first ad during the break of a Korean drama in Hong Kong is Laneige selling its BB Cushion or Sleeping mask!

    I'm a bit on the fence with IOPE! I got #C21 and, in the middle of winter, there were times when I thought that it looked a tiny bit too fair on me. It goes on dewy but it can dry down to look oily and it's not as long lasting as this Laneige one. That dewiness/oiliness can really cling to blemishes as well, so I think that IOPE would look a little better on people with flawless skin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i dont know. nothing in specific. i've tried the serum lipsticks before. the texture is so very interesting. like a watery gel. never felt that texture before and the colors are so vibrant. mostly the packaging is a major draw for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm like that too. I apply everything and hope for the best AHAH. I do keep the compact in my bag just in case but I've never actually used it to do touch ups. I quite like how it wears away a bit and it looks even more natural!


    I'm not sure how it compares to Innisfree but I've swatched their Ampoule version and I thought that was pretty nice =)


    Did you end up picking up a cushion?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooo I'm glad that this works well for you! I currently own the pore control version as I tend to get oily in the t-zone and singapore is so humid and so hot that I even pack on pressed powder on top of this and all my other foundations to keep my base on when out and about! I really like the cute print on this edition you got. I don't know of many asian girls who have ordered that shade as we tend to suit the more yellow tones but that's great that it worked well for you! I'm happy with laneige and have one more cushion I bought that I haven't opened yet. Can't wait to try more slowly!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've heard that the Pore Control one is really, really good for oily skin types! I can't seem to powder my base products because my face just ends up looking dry and dull!

    I agree, I didn't even know there was a #14 to begin with! Luckily, the colour is pretty nice on me. It might be that I am on the fairer side and there is a tendency for lighter skin tones to be more neutral, so a smidge of pink makes me look more alive =)

    I think I've read somewhere that IOPE is coming out/has come out with a matte version as well. Have you seen that one yet? Which one haven't you opened yet? I'm so curious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. YES. My unopened BB cushion is from IOPE. I bought one from the line starting with a C meant for coverage! I don't plan to open it for a while though, need to wait til I finish up a few bases first!

    ReplyDelete