Thursday, 5 March 2015

The Affordable Alternative: DHC Deep Cleansing Oil




Awhile back, I was at the Shu Uemura counter looking to repurchase my Shu Uemura's Cleansing Beauty Oil Premium A/I. After a year of use, I was close to finishing it and wanted to buy a back up before I was completely through. Whilst I was there, I was introduced to their Ultime8 Sublime Beauty Cleansing Oil which is supposed to be their most prestigious cleansing oil.
Long story short, the SA offered me a lot of freebies and before I knew it, I walked away a hundred and something dollars poorer...

Anyway, around the same time as my purchase, I was gifted DHC's Deep Cleansing Oil, which has long been touted as Shu oil's much more affordable alternative. To test whether this true or not, I opted to start using this DHC oil straight after my Premium A/I was through.




There's this line of thought that, for sensitive skin types, the shorter the ingredients list, the better. And it's quite rare for me to see an ingredients list as short as this Deep Cleansing Oil. Its main ingredients include olive oil, fatty acids and vitamin E from coconut oil and vegetable oil.

After reading the ingredients list, I have to admit that I did question whether this was really just olive oil in a bottle. I know quite a few people who swear by removing their make up with organic extra virgin olive oil but I've never done that before.

I just can't imagine putting something THAT oily on my face.





The bottle has a much more simple design compared to Shu's and it doesn't even lock itself in by twisting the pump. Instead, they provide you with a plastic stopper which you can insert into the pump's neck so that it won't dispense product. I find this quite handy and much more travel friendly. 

When I first used it, I scoffed thinking that this had nothing on Shu. The liquid itself is dark yellow and much thicker than what I'm used to. It even smells like olive oil, which further fuelled my initial speculation that it would be like putting olive oil on your face.

The DHC oil does remove make up but I find I have to use more product and also need to move it over my face longer. With Shu, it only takes 1 full pump (or 1.5 pumps when I'm wearing very heavy make up) and everything is dissolved quickly. I have to use a full 2 pumps to get the same results with the DHC oil. It also doesn't emulsify as quickly or as much as Shu's either. 

After I've washed everything off, my skin feels less moisturised than with Shu. But it's not a dealbreaker, by any means.




Comparisons with Shu aside, the Deep Cleansing Oil does do a good job of clearing off my make up, which consists of foundation, concealer, eyebrow pencil and blush/bronzer. I still use Clinique's Take The Day Off Make Up Remover for my eyeshadow and liquid eyeliner, and my mascara melts off my lashes with some warm water. On the days where I've been lazy, my eye make up can be removed with the DHC oil after a few gentle rubs. But I still prefer to use a dedicated eye remover. 

It doesn't leave an oily film if I wash it off properly but I've gone into the habit of using a milk cleanser straight after any cleansing oil. I've also gotten used to its thicker texture and how it gives me extra slip to move the product more thoroughly over my face.

If someone asked me to describe this oil, I would say that it's your basic oil cleanser that gets the job done. 

There isn't any fancy packaging, elaborate ingredients and extra skincare benefits. It simply cleans and it does do a good enough job for its particular price point. I would definitely recommend this for people who are either looking for a cheaper alternative or are just getting into cleansing oils. This is a good entry product to see whether your skin likes cleansing oils. 

You know what, if I hadn't used Shu previously, I would be very happy using this. 


What do you use to take off your make up? 



3 comments:

  1. That's a shame that this one didn't meet expectations! But I do agree. I feel like, with cleansing, it's not neccessary to go out and buy something that's top of the line.



    I'm going to need to have a look into Tatcha. Everyone seems to be talking about their stuff lately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read you got away a hundred dollars poorer I was like D:
    IDK, I've used EVOO to remove makeup before, and it's not that bad. But then again, I haven't tried any of Shu's oils, so I really can't compare, hah. Anyways, I'm using Body Shop's cleansing balm at the moment and honestly, after I'm finished, I'll probably just go back to using coconut oil. EH, AS LONG AS ALL THE MAKEUP IS REMOVED FROM MY FACE, I'M HAPPY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, nah, I also don't know what happened. Something about a cleansing oil that was as soft as cashmere and making my skin smoother than an unborn babies... etc etc etc. I'm ridiculously easy to sell to when it comes to skincare.

    I'm hearing pretty good reviews about the Body Shop's cleansing balm. I picked up Clinique's version and that's next cleansing product I'll be using after this one!

    ReplyDelete