Wednesday, 4 February 2015

RE: Sulphate-free Shampoo - Alchemy's Rice Aminos & Wheat Protein Shampoo




The quest for a perfect sulphate-free shampoo continues! By all accounts, the Grown Alchemist shampoo I've reviewed previously is a good sulphate-free shampoo. It does a decent job at cleansing and doesn't make my hair dry or flat. My only problem with it is that doesn't make my hair nice and soft like my old sulphate shampoo and it's also on the expensive side. 

So when Alchemy's Rice Aminos & Wheat Protein was on sale, I decided to give it a go. 




I'm not too familiar with the Alchemy brand, aside from knowing that they're an Australian company creating natural products. Their shampoos are not only sulphate free but are also without parabens, silicones and other nasties listed in the above photo. 




I chose the Rice Aminos & Wheat Protein shampoo because it's for dry and damaged hair. I ionically straighten my hair once a year and straighten the regrowth every second day after a wash - so yeah, my hair is prone to damage and dryness. 

This shampoo is enriched with vitamins E and B5 and pure botanical cleansers such as panama bark, jasmine and certified organic lavender essences to help strengthen damaged and dry hair.  




Let's start off with the positives - this smells really, really good. It has that soothing lavender smell I like in the bathroom. I like a few drops of lavender oil in the bathtub when I'm doing a soak.

But that's about the only positive I can think of.

As for the negatives - this shampoo irritated my hands. I immediately started scratching the moment I hopped out of the shower. My scalp was fine but my fingers started getting super itchy. My hair turned into coarse straw - I've actually never had my hair feel so coarse my entire life!

But because I'm of the game variety (more like I didn't want to admit that I'd spent money on a product that I hate), I decided to try this shampoo a second time and my hands itched even more and hair came out drier than before. It took two rounds of hair masking with Essential's Damage Care Rich Hair Mask to bring it back to normal. 

The packaging is terrible as well. The shampoo's bigger size comes in a pump but this one has one of those pop-up lids, and it sucks. The moment your tip the shampoo forward, everything starts dribbling out and so you tip way more than you actually need. You don't even need to squeeze the bottle to get the product out. 

Immensely disappointed in this product. It's just sitting in my shower now and I have no idea what I can repurpose it into. ARGH.


Have you tried any disappointing products lately?


8 comments:

  1. It's hilarious because my friend hated this shampoo too, so I took it off her hands. Haven't used it yet, but I guess this makes it strike two! MAYBE YOU SHOULD TRY AND UNLOAD THE BOTTLE ONTO A FRIEND ;) (jks maybe)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL you know, for a moment there, I really thought that it was just me because I have sensitive skin and my hair has been ionically straightened for years already...


    Are you game to give it a go?! I dare you! (no don't actually -_-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear this turned out to be such a disappointment! ;o
    It is true I often find sulfate-free all natural products are actually harsh on skin. They can leave things stripped and coarse.
    Since this shampoo irritates your skin, I guess you can't use it as handsoap, which I've done with body cleansers and shampoo that were not so great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds terrible! Have you tried the L'oreal EverCreme sulfate-free line? I've tried their shampoo + conditioner. Not bad. Oh and heyyy fellow aussie!

    Sheri | Behind The Frames

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the heads up! I've heard that sulphate-free shampoos can also be used for brush cleaning. But I definitely can't use this one for that! Ekkk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahah hi Sheri! I haven't tried the EverCreme line yet but it's next on the list to try. Maybe when Priceline has another 40% off haircare!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eeep. sounds like an allergic reaction :( such a shame! I quite like A'kin. Have you tried Aveda? I went there for a hair consultation and they offered me tea and assessed my scalp condition... that was enough for me to go back and buy their stuff.. eventually lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't tried Aveda yet because I've just always assumed that they be super pricey since they have their own standalone store! I'll have a look at their stuff and see if I can get a sample first to try. Last thing I want is paying for something and not being able to use it =(

    ReplyDelete