Wednesday, 15 October 2014

Grown Alchemist Damask Rose, Black Pepper & Sage Shampoo



I am a rose addict.

I love a small vase of fresh roses on my work table and a strong rose latte when I want to treat myself. When rose petals start to turn colour, I'll put them into a bucket for a foot spa. I've heard that it helps to calm the nerves!

I keep a box of rose buds in my cupboard and often add them to my chamomile tea because it gives it a better taste. A rose cleanser is also on my to-buy-list as they're supposedly good for soothing and softening sensitive skin.

In my last Grown Alchemist haul, I bought two rose beauty products - the Persian Rose & Argan Extract Intensive Hand Cream and Damask Rose, Black Pepper & Sage Shampoo. While the hand cream was good, it wasn't as intensive as I thought it would be. Luckily, I'm really liking their shampoo!




The best thing about the Grown Alchemist brand is that they're certified organic and their products do not contain sulphate, petrochemicals, artificial fragrances, animal derivatives, T.E.A, D.E.A., synthetic colours, silicons and parabens.

For me, it's especially important to use a sulphate-free shampoo and their one certainly fits the bill!

The formula is gentle and nutrient rich, as it's filled with micro wheat proteins, black pepper antioxidants, chamomile, bush tomato, lycopene and vitamin C. This is supposed to leave the hair nourished, stronger and tamer, without stripping it of its natural essential oils.

I rub one pump of product together in my hands to create some bubbles. Since it's sulphate-free, it does not lather like normal shampoos but I think this is workable and foams up quite well compared to other sulphate-free shampoos that I've used. I spread this across the front of my scalp and repeat the process to lather the back.

My hair feels clean, soft and manageable. I've used other sulphate-free shampoos but they have a tendency to dry out my hair, leaving it straw-like and brassy. This Grown Alchemist one is much better! I have to say in honesty that it doesn't compare to using normal shampoo. I used to love using Kao Essentials Rich Premier shampoo and conditioner, and this combination made my hair look and feel healthy. I've yet to find a sulphate-free shampoo that replicates this. 

Having said that, Grown Alchemist is the best one I've used so far in the sulphate-free category. At the very least, it cleans without drying my hair out and works pretty well with the Kao Essentials Rich Premier conditioner and hair mask.

The shampoo also has a very mild aromatic scent - I can pinpoint the rose and sage but not the black pepper. I'm used to something stronger but it turns out that a slight fragrance is just as good. I'm 3/4 through my bottle and I find the scent very soothing and calming.




This is the 300ml bottle and it comes with a pump which can be depressed and locked to stop leakages in the event that you have to travel with it. Hotel shampoos generally have sulphate in them and so I really appreciate this feature.

Overrall, this is a great option if you're looking for a sulphate-free shampoo. It's an all-natural product, cleans well and smells lovely. My only gripe with it is that it's on the expensive side ($22.95 for 300ml or $29.95 for 500ml). Lucky that their official website, Myers and David Jones seem to do sales on them quite frequently but it still makes me want to venture out and try other less expensive alternatives.But a cynical side of me thinks that I'll come crawling back to this one because that's what always happens. AHAH.

What's your favourite scent?

4 comments:

  1. I am okay with sulfates and silicones but I do try to clarify with a natural shampoo once in a while. Fake rose scents could be the worst in body/hair care. I'm glad to hear you've found something that works properly for you as well as smells natural and pretty! I love rose scents but I have to be careful with it. Some smell really granny on me. Speaking of rose scents, I should review on Roses de Chloe perfume soon! This one, I love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I hear you on the fake rose scents! I've also come across my fair share of granny smelling ones too! They're the worst and it seriously impacts the likeability of a product - at least in my books anyway!


    I don't have a rose scented perfume yet so I'll be looking forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I don't own a single rose scented product. I am however, looking for a sulphate free shampoo! I need to think long and hard before I purchase this product, I have about 10 bottles of drug store shampoo in my stash!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahah I say that unless you have a dry, itchy scalp, sensitive skin or have coloured hair, finish up your stash first and then go out and get a sulphate free shampoo! I'm really liking this Grown Alchemist one but I don't think it really compares to a normal shampoo!

    ReplyDelete