Saturday, 27 September 2014

Innisfree's Super Volcanic Pore Clay Mask




At the start of the year, I used a few samples of Innisfree's Original Volcanic Pore Clay Mask and, while it was too drying for my skin, it really sparked my interest in clay masks. I've started to notice that it's not all about the amount of moisture I put into my face. It's also about how rigorous my cleansing routine is and, to date, mine is pretty ordinary. 

There's the cleansing oil, sometimes a separate cleanser afterward and then a toner. Every so often, I'll do a round of exfoliation.

My pores are getting bigger and I'm getting tiny bumps underneath the skin around my nose and cheeks. They're not exactly pimples because they never break through. Without having seen a dermatologist about it, I'm guessing that it's oil build up?

Everything become infinitely more pronounced during Hong Kong's humid and terribly hot summer. My face got really congested thanks to the build up of sweat, sunscreen and pollution.

I've tried a few clay masks since the Innisfree Pore Clay Mask but they've all had this gritty texture that I'm not too keen on. Recently, I purchased Innisfree's Super Volcanic Pore Clay Mask because I'd heard that it's creamier than its predecessor and many other brands on the market. 




In fact, the Super version has double the volcanic ash in the Original, making it more effective as a detox and purification mask. Innisfree says that the product will tighten pores, remove sebum, exfoliate dead skin cells, leave a cooling effect on the skin and enhance skin tone through a deep cleanse.

You probably can't see clearly in this photo but there's actually a small seated plastic lid over the clay mask. I think it's definitely a nice touch as the clay could harden if it's continually exposed to air. At least, the plastic cover is a bit of insurance for times when you haven't screwed the lid on properly!

It would have been even nicer if they had included a small spatula on top so you don't have to use your fingers to scoop the product!




The thing that I like most about this clay mask is the fact that the product is so smooth. Application is much easier, as it just glides onto your face like a normal cream. The peculiar thing about the mask is that you can feel some particles as you do so and apparently they are volcanic pore cluster capsules, which will help draw impurities in the pores.

I like to layer a generous amount over my face, steering clear of the upper lip and eye area. I've found that it doesn't really work all that well when I skimp on the amount I use. It does leave a cooling effect on the skin and, in comparison to the Original, it doesn't tighten as much. My face also doesn't feel like it's being sucked dry.




It takes about 15 minutes for mine to harden and, as I wash it off, I'll gently roll those volcanic clusters around my face so that I'll get some exfoliation done at the same time. Two birds with one stone!
 
During the summer, I basically used this every second day (I haven't decided whether this is excessive or not) because the weather was incredibly humid. My skin always looks clearer, brighter and the pores around my cheeks and nose area is pretty much unnoticeable unless you come real close. It hasn't done much in terms of dislodging blackheads. Admittedly, mine look pretty deep at the moment and I'm not sure if a mask would help. 
 
My face doesn't feel completely devoid of hydration but it does feel squeaky clean. This always freaks me out a little so I'll either put a face mask or hydrating serum right after.
I actually really recommend this clay mask. It's quite affordable ($120HK for 100ml) and it works really well without severely drying out the skin. It also exfoliates, thanks to the volcanic clusters so this is actually a 2-in-1 product! But I don't think I'm being using it much during the colder months though. For my dry skin, it's more of an emergency measure when I'm faced with crazy temperatures and humidity.

What do you do for a deep clean? 
Who's into cleansing devices?

11 comments:

  1. This sounds lovely but I think I'll be getting the more drying version! The weather in singapore is always soo humid and hot! I totally need a new mud mask!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AYYYY I literally bought this last week! I've only used it once so far, but I do notice my skin looks a little clearer and brighter. I bought this after hearing a friend say this helped dislodge blackheads, but I haven't tried it enough to verify. My blackheads are pretty deep too. -sigh-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh that actually makes sense. Maybe if I had used the Original version than I might not have needed to use the mask so often. Maybeee - ahah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. High five! It does make the skin look clearer, doesn't it?



    I actually have no idea what to do with deep blackheads. People say steam it, then clay mask it - but nothing seems to work. I guess the good thing about deep blackheads is that they're not all that noticeable, especially once you put make up on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL getting bigger as you type!

    My pores never used to be THAT apparent but now they're really starting to bug me! Which clay masks are you using at the moment? I'm going to have to look into the Philosophy set. Do you use a cleansing device or anything like that? I'm thinking of picking up one but don't know where to start!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blackheads... the bane of my existence. I have a couple of really deep once on my nose and so far nothing has managed to get them out :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard about this so much. Seems like I'm the only Korean who hasn't used this. The creamy (super) version sounds good to me since I can't really deal with gritty facial mask. I always have a tube of mud pack around because my skin is very prone to congestions. I want to try this one very soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh I don't like gritty anything on my face! It just feels so wrong. Yes, do try this one out! I love how it exfoliates as well. Which mud masks do you use? Anything good?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I share your pain! I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do to bring them to the surface! =(

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorites are Borghese Fango and Ahava. They are gentle yet do the job well. :)

    ReplyDelete