Tuesday, 23 September 2014

Grown Alchemist Persian Rose & Argan Extract Intensive Hand Cream



I went through a huge Grown Alchemist phase a few months ago. It all started when a few blogs that I often browse featured their products and I fell in love with the sleekness of their packaging. I also bought into their whole botanical approach to skincare - especially after my Chinese doctor told me to use skin products that are as simple and natural as possible. 

Grown Alchemist is actually a Melbourne brand and my whole love affair with the brand also coincided with the end of my Melbourne trip where I was going 'Woooo go Melbourne!' to pretty much anything originating from that place. Ahah.

I am one of those people who will spend a lot of time researching beauty products before I make the purchase. Surprisingly, with very little research on Grown Alchemist products, I went out and bought myself their shampoo, body cream and two hand creams (I was also going through a hand cream phase!). 

For this post, I'm going to be reviewing one of the hand creams I got and that's the Persian Rose & Argan Extract Intensive Hand Cream!




One of the good things about Grown Alchemist products is that there are no Lauryl Sulphate, Glycols, Petrochemicals, Artificial Fragrance, Animal Derivatives, T.E.A, D.E.A, Synthetic Colours, Silicones, Parabens. It's important for me that there is no sulphate in my skincare as I've found that it is an irritant for my skin. I also try to avoid products with artifical fragrance because sometimes it can be a deal breaker on my face and for my nose. Where possible, I'll also look for products that are paraben-free and petrochemical-free.

The fact that Grown Alchemist makes products without these nasties also made me want to try out more of their product line. 




The intensive hand cream has bioactive ingredients such as Persian Rose, Tamanu Oil and Argan extract containing Vitamin A & Omega’s 3, 6 & 7. These are intended to deeply hydrate the hands.

I actually got this in a box set with the brand's Intensive Body Cream, so you'll see the ingredients for that underneath. 




Grown Alchemist describes this as 'a rich intensive hydrating hand cream that is instantly absorbed reviving the driest skin without leaving a greasy feel'. It's definitely true that this is one of those hand creams which you can rub into your skin and pretty much immediately start typing/going about your day. Surprisingly, the cream itself doesn't feel thick or heavy. It's actually quite light once spread out and it feels as if it's penetrated the skin. 

My hands are definitely on the dry side and the cream really does make it appear more nourished straight after application. I find that if I want my fingers to look nice and plump, I do have to use a bit more than normal so I can massage the cream in. Overall, it does make my hands softer. But I don't think it's as intensive as it's described because I have to reapply quite often to maintain results. I also don't find it hydrating enough for overnight use either. My hands in the morning only seem slightly softer. 

The cream has an old, musky rose scent which I'm not too crazy about. It actually reminds me of my old elderly neighbour's bathroom! I mean, it smells exotic and quite natural but it's not how I would have scented a rose hand cream. I'm used to it now but it was something that I had to get used to in the beginning. 

I had quite high hopes for this hand cream considering that I bought it during a time when I was looking for sulphate-free skincare. The hand cream itself is good but it's perhaps still not intensive enough for my dry hands. Considering the price ($27.95AU) and its results, I don't think I'll be repurchasing it again and will instead go on the hunt for alternatives.


Which hand cream are you using now? 
Have you used any botanical/natural skincare products? Are they any better?

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear this was a bit of letdown.
    I used to be so skeptical about all natural products and often dismissed them, too. I still don't write off mineral oil or silicones. They do some "good" things for me, you know? ;)
    My favorite hand cream is actually body cream in tube. Have you tried Ceravé cream? It is formulated for sensitive skin but not entirely free of bad guys. It is cheap and works for me, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually still use mineral oil and silicone - but I feel like that's perhaps got to do with me not researching them properly to understand what is allegedly so wrong about them!


    Oh yes, I've read up on Cerave! It's got ceramide in it apparently? I'm currently using a face cream with ceramide in it and it's really improved my dry skin. But it seems I can only get Cerave online. Ahah I'm not much of an online shopper! Maybe when all my hand cream stash runs out!

    ReplyDelete