Wednesday, 7 May 2014

Trilogy's Organic Rosehip Oil



So who uses Rosehip Oil? I actually jumped onto the bandwagon quite late. I only started using it towards the end of last year when it became quite obvious that my hydrating serum and moisturiser STILL wasn't enough for my dehydrated skin. It was during this time that I read our skin needs both moisture and oil. It was my big AH-HA moment! It sounded so simple but I had completely overlooked the fact that skin also needs oil. So instead of looking for a new serum and moisturiser, I set out looking for a face oil.

By far, the most well known face oil on the market is rosehip oil. This oil is extracted from a rose's bud and is said to be a super all-in-one product. Research suggests rosehip oil hydrates, lightens pigmentation, fills in lines and wrinkles, evens skin tone, repairs skin cells, fades acne scars and alleviates sun-related damage. The oil itself is a rich source of fatty acids, antioxidants and vitamin A, making it a great anti-aging product.

To me, these are definitely huge claims but after reading a decent amount of positive reviews online affirming how good rosehip oil is, I went out and purchased a bottle.




I bought Trilogy's Organic Rosehip Oil which has a minimum 80% essential fatty acids such as Omega 3, 6 and 9. Clinical research on this rosehip oil found that it helps to visibly improve the appearance of scars, stretch marks, fine lines and wrinkles.

Admittedly, these aren't the reasons why I specifically bought this oil from Trilogy. It's just that when I asked around, everyone I knew was using this particular one. You may already know that the market is saturated with rosehip oils and they're everywhere from drugstores, chemists to health stores. So it can be difficult to choose the right one.

I think if you look for one that is pure, organic and/or cold pressed, you should be good to go!





Mum used to use rosehip oil and she used to go on about hating the salmon smell found in most. Luckily, this definitely doesn't have any fishy smell! The scent is actually hard to describe but it definitely has a faint nutty and oily smell. It's very mild and not a huge issue.

The box suggests using 2-3 drops morning and night on its own or in conjunction with your regular moisturising products. I use this in place of my serum as I found that the two didn't seem to go too well together. The amount of drops I use varies on my skin condition. If my skin is looking okay, I'll go for 2 drops. If it's feeling dry, I'll use a more.




At first the results were pretty good. The oil does take some time to sink into my skin and so I kept this for night use only. For the first week or so, I woke up with brighter looking skin. By extension, I looked well-rested and less exhausted (which I have been for quite awhile now!). My skin took on a slightly orangey tinge which just made me look tanner. But it wasn't anything that a weekly exfoliation session couldn't get rid of. The cheeks actually had a glow and it looked like it was well moistured from within. Having said that, it didn't do much for the fine lines around and under my eyes.

After awhile, I stopped getting any noticeable results. It's as if my skin kind of got used to the oil and  I didn't wake up with that glow anymore. So I stopped using it for awhile and took up my serum again. At the time, my skin went through a pretty rough time with some really bad irritation. This certainly didn't help it. I found that it was okay on dry patches but on the parts which were inflamed, this actually aggravated the redness.

I've revisited it recently and I've been using the oil for two weeks now. Surprisingly, this time my skin actually feels smooth and softer than when I first started using it. The results have been pretty consistent and I'm really enjoying it! After I cleanse my skin, I'll use 3 drops of Hada Labo lotion and before that fully absorbs, I'll press 2-3 generous drops of oil onto my face. While that's partially sunk in, I'll put my moisturiser on. Previously, I waited for each skin care product to fully sink in before moving onto the next but I've found that this works much better for me.




While I took a break from the oil, I found a few other ways that I can use it. 

1. Rosehip Oil + Body Moisturiser
Mix your body moisturiser with 2-4 drops of rosehip oil. I mix the oil with QV, which is a water-based moisturiser, so this means I'm ticking all the boxes when it comes to 'skin needs moisture + oil'. This seriously works like a charm! I have THE most scaly legs ever - not even over exaggerating and it seriously softened the skin over night. 

2. Rosehip Oil as a Highlighter
I have a feeling that my face looked brighter and more radiant because oil will, of course, reflect light. So with this in mind, on days when I'm wearing very little make up and still looking a bit flat, I will use a tiny amount on top of my cheeks to give myself a bit of glow. It looks very natural and isn't greasy at all. The only downside is that it doesn't last very long because it just gets absorbed. 

I've done a few stage performances lately and everything from make up and hair needs to be exaggerated on stage because you're essentially being viewed from a distance. So aside from doing the oil + QV combo on my legs, I went in again and swiped oil down vertically to create the illusion of longer legs.

3. Rosehip Oil underneath a Sheet Face Mask
You can pat a few drops of oil into your skin before using a sheet face mask. This is just to boost the hydrating effects of a mask. I don't do this for all my masks but I do have a stack sitting in my drawers that I've neglected because they aren't moisturing enough for my dry skin. I will make sure the oil is full absorbed first before I put a mask on. 

Will I be buying another bottle when this is through? Definitely! I'm also looking to explore other rosehip products Trilogy. I'm very happy with it, now that I've found a way to make it work for my skin. I also love mixing it with my body moisturiser. My legs have never been so smooth!

Have you used Rosehip oil before? Which brand do you use? What are your experiences with it?

12 comments:

  1. I've been using Akin and Sukin's rosehip oil. They did well to moisturise my dry face but didn't do a thing in regards to pigmentation and fine lines. I stopped using it for the past few months but I think I will be dropping it into my night moisturiser as you have suggested :)

    LilynotLouise | Beauty and Food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This hasn't done anything for my lines either =(

      But I still thinks it works great as a night treatment! Let me know how it goes for you!

      Delete
  2. haha I've never actually heard of Rosehip oil xD sounds like something I need though, especially now that it's getting colder and my skin will dry up. Its use as a highlighter sounds nifty! :)

    Metallic Paws

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahah yes it does sound a little out of the ordinary, doesn't it! I think it'd be a good idea to start using it now before the weather gets really, really cold!

      Delete
  3. I haven't used any pure form of rosehip oil, yet. I'm pretty sure I've experienced something with it, though.
    Adding natural oil to facial and body moisturizer is excellent. I usually mix some argan oil with my CeraVe lotion for my body. Works like a charm.
    BTW, I keep thinking that you have the most beautiful hands! Smooth and creamy skin ;) (Please don't think I'm creepy..lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argan oil - now that's something I haven't tried but is definitely on my list to purchase!

      Thank you so much for the compliment! Ahah not creepy at all! But I think my hands look that way because of very bright lighting because I tend to take my photos right next to a large window! But thank you! Such a lovely comment!

      Delete
  4. Great post and tips dear. Thank you doll for visiting my blog. Stay connected :-)
    http://naturelbellefemme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've actully been looking into using some facial oils for the winter months! ive herd rosehip and maracuja oil are really good! love your review on this product glad your happy with it as well!

    Multitasking Damsel Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, I've never heard of Maracuja Oil before! A quick Google search that it's great for firmer and brighter looking skin. I might have a look around to see if I can get my hands on some! Thanks for the heads up!

      Delete
  6. I do think rosehip oil is one of the best ones, and I've tried a bunch. I usually mix it with my moisturiser and apply to my face, but lately I've been applying the oil separately to a cleansed face, like with a serum, then follow with a separate layer of moisturiser. My face has been hideously breaking out though, so the rosehip oil has been helping to make my skin less dry, but nothing with the spots D:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor thing! Hope the breakouts aren't causing you too much grief!

      I definitely think that finding the best way to apply rosehip oil is just as important as finding the right type! It seems to be one of those things that is really up to the individual!

      Delete