Wednesday, 28 May 2014

Maybelline Master Precise Liquid Eyeliner




I seriously think pen liners are a great idea! They're good if you don't have steady hands and they generally have quite fine tips, making it easy to tightline. But they dry out so easily and the amount of pigmentation you get on your eyelids really depends on how easy the liquid can flow out of the pen.
Dry pen liners annoy the living daylights out of me! So much so that I haven't bought one in years!

But I'm really liking that thin eyeliner look lately and so I've been looking for something that will help me achieve it. I picked up Maybelline's Master Precise Liquid Eyeliner awhile ago after learning about it's 0.05mm ultra fine tip. I chose Blackest Black because I still prefer an intense line that will highlight my eye.





I absolutely love how thin this liner is! It's calligraphy-style tip is super easy to work with and it helps me get right onto my lashline. Unlike, Face of Australia's Liquid Eyeliner, the Precise Liner is a little less flexible but still easy to control. I find that I actually prefer this tip because I can thicken the line by pressing it down flat against my lashline. The FOA eyeliner was a bit too fine for something like this.





This is already my second time purchasing the Master Precise liner because I really like how thin the tip is. My first one actually dried out about a week after I started using it. When I first got it, the colour was a really nice black. Not the most intense I've come across but good enough for a daily or work look. It was a prim and proper kind of black, but that certainly wore off quickly. 

It annoyed me like crazy and I vowed to never get another one.

That didn't last long because, a few weeks afterwards, I went and got another one. I talked myself into the idea that maybe it was just bad luck and that perhaps I picked up one that had been on the shelf for awhile. 

Much to my dismay, the above photo was taken after the second time I used the liner. The level of pigmentation is absolutely appalling for a brand new product.

*pulls hair out*




Sure, you can get a darker colour if you go over the line a few times (try 5-6 times) but then it actually gets thicker and then what's the point, really? I get a very similar result with my pencils and other liquid liners.

I've seriously tried everything to make this work. I've stored it tip up, tip down, laying on its side... I've even tried putting it in a cup of hot water with the tip facing upwards. This actually helped a little but I only got enough colour intensity for one eyelid.
  



So, no, it does not give a continuous flow. It doesn't wear all day, stain or smudge and is easy to remove because I can hardly get anything onto my lids.  

Never again, Maybelline, never again!

I've heard that the Japanese pen liners are really good - the colour intensity is impressive and that the actual tip is quite fine. But I'm not sure whether I'm willing to pick up another pen liner!

Do you use pen liners? Do your ones tend to dry up quickly as well? 

11 comments:

  1. Oh no! This is probably why I haven't spend my money on Maybelline lately. I find the quality is not as good as other brands like Revlon and L'Oreal (or even some more affordable brands), and they've gotten more expensive over the years!
    I only have one pen liner - Milani Eye Tech Extreme, which I'm happy with. There is a nice one from the L'Oreal Voluminous line as well.
    Hope you can find an affordable one that functions well for you soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree! I actually prefer Revlon over Maybelline despite it being a bit more expensive. I just might try something from L'Oreal next time!

      Delete
  2. I used to love Maybelline's waterproof liquid liner before they discontinued it so this is perfect! Will put it on my shopping list!

    Thank you for visiting my blog doll, would love to get your thoughts on my latest design!

    xo-Julie
    Peace. Love. LOL!

    Haute Khuuture Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting Julie! I really do love your blog =)

      Delete
  3. ...well that sucks. I was really hoping that this was going to be a good product, since I'm looking for a liquid liner myself, and that ~ultra~ fine tip looked promising, guess the search goes on! I really should start looking in Japanese brands, except Makeup Alley is my go-to place, and not sure if they have reviews for lesser known Asian products ;-;

    Vanessa | Citron and Guavaberry ʘ‿ʘ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The search definitely continues! Although, it'll be a very, very, VERRY long time time before I pick up a pen liner again! I love browsing MakeupAlley as well but they're not as good with Asian products. I have to rely mostly on blogs!

      Delete
  4. Ew, this product seems terrible. :( I've been having bad luck with Revlon pen liners as well. I hear the best is from K-palette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I'm beyond disappointed! Thanks for the heads up on the K-palette! I'll have to look into it!

      Delete
  5. GEEZ, i had to re-active my Google / blogspot account just so I could comment on this post !

    Anyway, Kathy and I use this Dollywink eyeliner pen from Sasa...it's the bessttttt yo.

    Btw, before you point it out..yes, insomnia has reactivated.
    FML

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Valentine! I didn't love this one either, though I wonder if my hopes were too high. I found it to be rather smudgy - the 'panda look' isn't cute... Let me know if you find a better one! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pen liners are a pain. The Eyeko that I used dried out pretty quick. And the effect that it creates it not pretty. It looks like I took a half-dried marker pen and dragged it across my eyelids.

    ReplyDelete