Monday, 21 April 2014

Shu Uemura's Cleansing Beauty Oil Premium A/I



Let me be the first to say that cult products rarely work for me. So when I was introduced to Shu Uemura's Skin Purifier Cleansing Oils by a friend last year, I was quite hesitant to go along with the hype. Sure, Shu's cleansing oils had a great reputation but so did a load of other cult products that just never delivered for my dry, sensitive skin. 

But I was really at my wits end, what with me going through my worst skin year and Lancome's Baume Eclat Balm-to-Oil Massage Cleanser being discontinued. My friend took me to a Shu counter and I got matched with an appropriate cleanser.




Shu oils are widely known for their superior cleansing ability. It boasts the ability to melt away make up, unclog sebum in the pores and dissolve water-soluble impurities. The oils themselves are enriched with botanical oils that not only effectively cleans but leaves the skin refined, soft and plump. 




Like I said, last year was my worst skin year ever and one look at my weathered and stressed skin, I was recommend Shu Uemura's Cleansing Beauty Oil Premium A/I. This cleanser is especially designed for sensitive and fragile skin. It has Licorice Root Derivative, which in Oriental medicine is used to strengthen the body during times of stress, and Amino Acids as its key ingredients. 

I had a lot of redness going on at the time and it hurt even to use my most basic moisturiser. The sales assistant said that the Premium A/I oil would help calm and nourish the irritated skin. I was super sceptical so she gave me a few sample packets to try at the time. Surprisingly, my skin absolutely loved it. The redness started to settle and it amazingly, it didn't hurt at all to use. Everything under the sun stung at the time except this!

Very surprised!



Usually, I use 1.5 pumps to remove my daily routine of foundation, eyebrow pencil, liquid eyeliner and smudge-proof mascara. Shu suggests using a very generous 4-5 pumps but even when I'm wearing a bit more eye shadow and lipstick/lipgloss, I find that 2 pumps is enough. Having said that, if I'm wearing very heavy eye make up, I will remove it first with Clinique's Take The Day Off Make Up Remover for Lids, Lashes and Lips. The oil actually stings when I get it into my eyes, so I've decided that it's better to just go in with a cotton pad first. 

I've found that the most important part in using the oil is when you start to emulsify the oil. When it turns into a milky cleanser, I really take my time to massage my face and to make sure that the make up is fully removed from my face. Mum uses this oil as well and she wasn't doing this step thoroughly, and her toner kept picking up residual foundation. So it's definitely worth taking your time with this part!






I think this definitely lives up to the hype. After using more than half a bottle, I can say that it works better than my Lancome Baume Eclat Balm-to-Oil Massage Cleanser. It cleans really well without leaving that drying, squeaky clean feeling. When I first started using this, my face felt soft and less dry than usual. I have to admit that I've stopped getting this feeling now but that's not to say that it's stopped working. Instead, it's perhaps that I've gotten so used to the results that I don't really notice it.

I've tried a few of the other Shu oils - the green, pink and yellow one. I've found that this is the best one for dry skin because the texture is the thickest out of the ones I've tried. I think the green one actually cleanses a little better but my skin feels quite dry afterwards.

These oils do cost an arm and a leg, so I only use this on days I've actually work make up. On days where I've just gone with moisturiser and sunscreen, I'll opt for a milk or gel cleanser depending on weather conditions!

Have you tried Shu oils before? What's your favourite type of cleanser? 

11 comments:

  1. This sounds really good from your review! I've always heard about oils especially the Asian ones. I might look into this after I'm done with my gazillion I have... lol~ It's also great it's good for my dry skin.

    http://ahleessa4realz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ahleessa! Thanks for visiting. Definitely give this a go if you have dry skin! I'd always heard that dry skin types should opt for milk cleansers but I think oils are way better!

      Delete
  2. I need to start using cleansing oil because I wear a lot of sunscreen. I've always wanted to try more Shu products but they are so pricey!!! Did it cause any breakouts?

    LilynotLouise | Beauty and Food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely no breakouts whatsoever! Usually my skin reacts pretty quickly if it doesn't like the product and I haven't had anything bad happen to me (yet)! I think it's worth giving a go if you wear quite a bit of sunscreen!

      Delete
  3. My friend she absolutely loves the green tea one.
    Sadly my skin cant stand cleansing oil :( Tried different brands but still broke me out :(

    Xo Denise
    http://pixiedw.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh that's such a shame! What skin type do you have? I've always thought that oils would be best for normal to dry skin despite claims that it's a universal product!

      Delete
  4. Haven't tried any of Shu's oils, but those are bold claims for an oil that Shu boasts! Glad it worked out for you though, because the price tags on those oils make me want to run away as fast as possible. (My friend paid like, $100 for some enormous bottle and I thought SHE WAS OUT OF HER MIND)
    I usually just use coconut oil to take off my makeup. Basic and cheap, heh.

    Vanessa | Citron and Guavaberry ʘ‿ʘ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is on the expensive side and that made me even more cautious because I didn't want to fork out so much for something that I won't like! But I'm now completely hooked and I think I know which one your friend bought! Ahah - that's my next purchase after this one is done! LOL.

      Delete
  5. ive read that the this particular cleansing oil by shu uemura is one of the best in the high end range market. I use a cleansing oil as well during winter by sanctuary spa and it does such a great job of removing makeup and hydrating the skin!

    Multitasking Damsel Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a really nice review, I need to order myself a bottle. I miss Shu being in the states. Ooh, could you give some more details about the fragrance this oil has?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ryan, thanks for dropping by!


    I can't seem to pinpoint the exact scent of the oil but it is very calming and it contributes to the overall oil cleansing experience. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete