Wednesday, 2 April 2014

Clinique's Moisture Surge Overnight Mask

Hi guys! I just wanted to say a few words before I went into my latest reviews. Thank you so much to all the new followers on all of my social media platforms! It's great to see some new faces coming around. I hope you'll enjoy your stay here!

Now, onto my review!




Masks are, without a doubt, a heaven send to us people with dry skin. I absolutely swear by them and know first hand how healthy skin can look after a good mask. This is why I loved the idea of sleeping masks when I came across them a few years ago. Unfortunately, the first generation of sleeping masks generally came in a gel formula which did very little for my dry skin. 

For awhile there, I steered clear of sleeping masks but when I heard that Clinique was coming out with one in late 2012/early 2013, I was absolutely thrilled! I am very much a Clinique girl, having used and loved the large majority of their product line! I've found that their products are reliable and my skin agrees with most of their products. In fact, the Moisture Surge line is my favourite grouping out of the entire Clinique brand, so I was super excited to try the mask out!




I've used several deluxe samples of Clinique's Moisture Surge Overnight Mask thanks to generous sale assistants and gift with purchase bundles. I've loved the product so much that I've recently purchased the full size, upgrading the mask from 'skincare trial' to 'skincare staple' by purchasing the full size! 




One of the big reasons why my skin likes the Overnight Mask so much is because of its texture. It's an oil-free and fragrance free cream formula that feels a little tacky once spread across the face. But after a very short period, the cream sinks in and begins to soften the skin.

I like to rub my hands together for a little heat before pressing my palms onto my face. I feel that this gives the product better absorption and it definitely shows in the morning-after results. 

The other good thing about the Overnight Mask is its list of ingredients. There is an excellent amount of plant extracts that serve to hydrate and calm the skin. Ingreidents worth noting include murumu seed butter, wheat bran, olive extract, shea butter, mango butter and aloe leaf water - all of which, intensely hydrates, nourishes and soothes the skin. 






I generally use this around twice a week after my nightly routine. I do take my time to rub the formula in because I use quite a liberal amount. I even use it around my eyes which I'm sure some will say is a no-go zone but that's my driest area! I haven't had any irritations so far which is always worth noting!

The morning after results are pretty impressive - much better than just using a hydrating serum and moisturiser on its own. My face looks moist, fresh and hydrated. The skin feels smoother and my skin tone appears to be much more even. More surprising is the way it flattens the fine lines under and around my eyes!

I've layered this on pretty heavily when my skin is stressed out and I've noticed that it does calm my skin a little bit. But I'd say its moisturising abilities outweighs its calming capabilities. 

For now, as the weather starts to transition into a new season, I'm starting to use a small amount every night. Every time we move into a different season, my skin goes berserk for some silly reason, so I'm hoping that this mask will give my face a hand during this period. So far, things are looking good!




Clinique suggests that this is suitable for all skin types and I can vouch for it working on dry skin. But I do have a feeling that it may be too much for oily or combination skin. 

I've read a few reviews saying that this is no more than a night moisturiser but I disagree. The texture of this mask really does create a barrier or veil over your skin and hence 'masking' it the entire night. This is great news for dry skins who don't want any moisture loss throughout the night. But considering the amount of hydrating ingredients in this, this might be too much for someone on the oiler spectrum. 

I've always felt that if you're oiler, you need hydration but not in the form of something that consists of numerous moisturising butters. I think a gel sleeping mask would be a better product. 

Have you tried this Overnight Mask before? What are your experiences with sleeping masks?

9 comments:

  1. Ohhh this sounds really interesting, I've never tried an overnight mask before, I'm a little hesitant because I tumble and turn, smoosh my face into the pillow and possibly dribble in my sleep :/ might not be a great combination for over night masks.

    LilynotLouise | Beauty and Food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL are you a stomach sleeper by any chance? I was worried that the mask would go everywhere but it sinks into the skin really quickly. Aside from the initial tackiness, it feels quite close to a normal moisturiser.

      Delete
  2. this sounds promising since it might tackle my dehydrated yet oily skin. i've only tried the sulwahsoo overnight mask and that one is amazing.
    Jenn
    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh I didn't know Sulwhasoo had an overnight mask. I'll have to keep an eye out for that one because their stuff is apparently quite good!

      Delete
  3. This sounds like something I need to try out, especially since we are hitting cooler weather! I love overnight masks, my long time favourite is Origins Drink Up, though it is on the thicker side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacey! I've just started using Origins' Drink Up and it's definitely thicker than this! Waiting for winter to see which one works better!

      Delete
  4. I haven't tried much Clinique skin care but the closest thing I have to it is the Origins overnight mask that Stacey mentioned. I find the problem with overnight masks is the tackiness - the Origins one especially. It doesn't sink in completely so you kind of have to sleep on your back the whole night, lest most of it get rubbed onto your pillow :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have oily skin so maybe this mask doesn´t works on my skin very ell. Thanks for your useful review~
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds amazing and glad to hear it's good for dry skin individuals like myself!

    http://ahleessa4realz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete