Sunday, 26 January 2014

YSL's Top Secrets Re-Plumping Concentrate Lip & Contour Shaper

It seems I've never had much luck with lip products. For a very long time, everything under the sun stung them and even Vaseline irritated me. So I've always left my lips bare and, by extension, super duper dry. I also have fine lines which makes me too shy to wear pigmented lipsticks. Never mind the fact that, realistically, I'm the only one that sees them! How vain silly of me!

So this begins my little foray into lip products to correct or better the current state their in! A friend of mine recommended YSL's Top Secrets Re-Plumping Concentrate Lip & Contour Shaper, which she said works better than anything else she's ever used. But I never got around to checking out until the lip balm landed in a gift with purchase bag.




YSL advertises that this as a concentrate that instantly plumps up the lips by smoothing and nourishing its lines. It's intended to reshape the lips contours, giving them definition and a good canvas for any lipsticks or gloss to be placed on top. As a lip moisutriser, YSL suggests that it can leave the lips soft, satiny and comfortable. 




The lip applicator squeezes out a slightly pearly balm which smells absolutely divine. It's fruity and similar to that found in YSL's Sheer Candy line. In terms of moisture, I'd say that it did do it's job. It did leave my lips soft and comfortable. The pearly pigmentation of the balm gave my lips some glow that is similar to a  clear gloss. However, there are many, many other drugstore lipbalms on the market that can do better than this at a fraction of the price. So in this respect, I think I expected more.

As for contouring and plumping, the magic really happens when a lipstick is layered on top of it. My God, the results are gorgeous! All of a sudden, my lips looked plumped, defined and prominent. My usually thin upper lip was evened out and emphasised to give an almost sultry look. My lips usually look dry after a pigmented lipstick but this was certainly not the case with this YSL plumped underneath. It really did nourish and moisturise my lips which was definitely surprising!

So is it really worth it? Personally, I think it's a great way to prep and plump my usually dry lips before lipstick. But to be very honest, I don't think you'll notice much of a difference without a lipstick on top!


FOLLOW ME ON -

7 comments:

  1. I have to say I have never tried a limp plumping product but yes you are probably right to start out better to go with a more cost effective product.

    Allie of ALLIE NYC
    allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw that's too bad your lips are sensitive to many different products! I love Rosebud Salve for night time use, but I guess it could irritate your lips since it does contain petroleum. The cotton seed oil in it really makes a difference, though. Have you tried it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh I'm using a Vanilla Salve at the moment and it is absolutely wonderful. Surprisingly, it doesn't irritate at all! After I finish my current pot, I'm going to get my hands on the Rosebud one. Heard it's great!

      Delete
  3. My lips are rather sensitive too. I usually just smear on cheap Vaseline hahaha but this is a nice fancy treat! I never noticed this product at the counters, too enamored by all the other pretty things YSL has to offer lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if I can justify this for it's price, though it does sound like s great product! I'm pretty easy when it comes to balms - Carmex/Maybelline Baby Lips usually does the job but when my lips are extra dry I would go for the Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true about the price! I'm very glad that this came in a gift with purchase bag!

      Delete
  5. I'm intrigued. Thanks for the review. I might just pop by a YSL counter to check it out.

    ReplyDelete