Monday, 24 June 2013

Real Techniques Make Up Brushes - The Core Collection


**This product was a competition prize from Priceline Australia. I was never under any obligation to blog about these brushes. The following are my honest and true thoughts about the product.**


At one point, I seriously felt like the last person on earth with a beauty-ish blog to own a set of Real Techniques brushes. Even my non-blogger friends were going nuts over the brushes and buying doubles and triples as back ups! 

I actually don't wear that much make up so I don't own a lot of brushes. I usually use my fingers or Shisedio's Perfect Foundation Brush, which is absolutely perfect by the way, to put on my foundation. However, awhile ago I won a Priceline Twitter competition where they generously sent me a set of Real Techniques Make Up Brushes - The Core Collection as well as some other goodies!

I've been quite impressed with the quality of these brushes. The bristles are soft to the touch, gentle on the skin (important for sensitive skin people!), generally pick up the right amount of product and dry really quickly after a wash.

But how well do they actually perform? 




First up we have the Buffing Brush which is 'ideal for full coverage application of powder and mineral foundation'. On the few occassions that I've used blush and/or powder, I've found that it picks up product very easily. It also distributes it evenly across my face.

For a normal daily look, I don't actually wear blush or powder, so I tried using it with my foundation. The result was not as flawless as Shisedio's Perfect Foundation Brush which has a tendency to press the foundation right into your face.





This Pointed Foundation Brush is used 'with liquid foundation to build custom coverage'. At first, I didn't really like the brush because it was very low density and small in size. But the slim bristle design does have its perks when applying foundation as it allows for greater precision. By turning the brush on its side, it does an awesome job at blending and settling colour around my nose and under my eyes.

I think it works well with low coverage foundations. It's good for building layers but I would have loved it if the bristles were denser and the paddle bigger.




Next up is the Contour Brush which 'delicately applies highlighter to contour or create sheer, soft-focus finish'. Like the Buffing Brush, it picks up the right amount of product and moves it evenly across the face. It is much smaller than the Kabuki brushes I've used in the past but I have taken this one for a spin a few times with my bronzer.

The application is very flawless and the colour is well distributed. Instead of brushing it onto my face, I prefer to roll its side onto my face. This is one of my favourites in the set!




Lastly, is the Detailer Brush with 'precision cut to effortlessly conceal problem areas; or, use with lipstick for long-lasting shape and definition'. I get the least use out of this. The only thing I've come up with is using it to contour the sides of my nose and that works quite well! I think if the brush itself was longer and wider, I'd get greater use out of it.

Overall, I'm definitely happy with the quality of the brushes. They are genuinely good quality and durable brushes that will definitely last. My favourites are the Buffing and Contour Brushes, but the Foundation and Detailer aren't too bad. I just wish they were densier and bigger!

PS - Remember the GFC is shutting down on 1st July! Follow this blog via Bloglovin' or the usual social network places to keep in touch! Also, please let me know how I can stay up to date with your blog in the comments box!


FOLLOW ME ON -

3 comments:

  1. Great review. The first makeup brush set I ever bought were the ELF Studio ones and they've not done badly over the years but it's time to replace them soon. I'm very tempted to go for these as I've heard a lot of good reviews :)

    Please find me on Blog Lovin'! I'm following you already :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review and congrats on winning these brushes! Unfortunately, I think I am actually the slowest to get on board the Real Techniques brushes in the beauty-blogosphere because I don't own any yet. I have wanted to try them for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky about winning this set! I love Real Techniques brushes! Can't live without the Buffing Brush. I normally use the Detailer Brush for highlighting the inner corners of the eyes, though I guess it could be a good lip brush too. The contour brush is perfect for highlighter and (duh) contouring :p

    ReplyDelete