Wednesday, 15 May 2013

The Library Cafe, Tsim Tsa Tsui



One of my life goals is to open/invest in a successful cafe. I can just imagine me behind the coffee machine, making people's daily coffee and having a chat to regulars. It's a terribly romantic view of opening and running a business but, nonetheless, it's something I want to do in this life! One of these days!

But until that day comes, I'm happy to roam the streets looking for cafes with good coffee! Cafes are a dime a dozen in Australia. Less so in Hong Kong. So I'm always happy to go on the hunt for interesting cafes when I'm over there.

One particular cafe that is worth mentioning is the Library Cafe, a 26-seater eatery at the very end of Lane Crawford's Shoe Library in Tsim Tsa Tsui. For those who don't know, Lane Crawford is one of the main luxury retail giants in Hong Kong and the shopping (in my case - window shopping) experience is amazing. Why can't David Jones or Myers be more like Lane Crawford?!




Based on looks, the Library Cafe ticks all the right boxes for me. The fact that it's situated inconspicuously within a luxury department store is a definite advantage because not a lot of people know about it. It really makes you feel like you're insulated from the hustle and bustle which makes this a definite getaway from busy Kowloon, Hong Kong.
 
The Agnes. B cafe in Harbour City, which I love by the way, is always packed with people and it's literally impossible to get a seat. It's much different at the Library Cafe. I've walked past plenty of times and there's always ample seating available, so it's a good place for people to recharge before shopping again!

I adore the cafe's decor. It's really homey and welcoming. I have a thing for yellow, as opposed to white lightbulbs. I'm not sure how to explain it but it always feels more welcoming!




Funnily enough, these are plastic knives, forks and spoon. . .



I was there with my brother and we ended up ordering two Tuna Melts ($39 each) and one Rose Latte ($45) for me. I haven't seen Rose Lattes in Sydney so I was really eager to try. We sat on the communal table because the smaller round tables are ridiculously small and only preferable if you're looking to only have coffee. Not to mention that my brother and I have a terrible habit of snagging the biggest tables because we sprawl our food and cutlery all over the place!

The Tuna Melt was, unfortunately, not that good. Tuna melts are one of my most favourite simple lunch items in the world! I loveeeee toasties because tuna + lightly toasted bread + thin slice of melted cheese = my idea of fantastic, bombastic love. Ahah! But this one oozed oil! I'm inclined to think that they put oil in the bread before they toasted the entire thing making the entire outcome way too heavy for my liking.

The Rose Latte also could be better. It tasted mostly of rose and by extension was a little too sweet for my liking. I think Agnes B Cafe does a much better rendition where there is a clearer balance between the taste of coffee and rose. It's also cheaper too.

I've heard others having a better experience with their cakes. Apparently, they're better known for them. I've had their takeaway latte ($40) before and it's actually not bad for what you can get in Hong Kong. So although this visit wasn't the best, I do plan on heading back for their cakes!

The Library Café
Lane Crawford
3 Canton Road, 
Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong

4 comments:

  1. Oh my god I nearly fainted at the price and realised they're HK dollars NOT US dollars haha!!

    Cafes are my favourite places to be. Definitely has to be unique and not another chain ;) I'd love to run my own one day too it'd be the cutest cafe in the world haha but I doubt it! I'd love to visit your cafe though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love great funky cafes that do good coffee! I haven't tried a Rose Latte before but sounds quite nice. Too bad it was a tad too sweet for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been to the Library cafe last summer, I had free vanilla bean latte there that was made by my friend's ex girlfriend ;) it was also too sweet for my liking. i have to say i have very strict standards for making coffee as i make coffee in a very professional way every day by myself:)
    Btw There was one thing really impressive to me, I could use FREE WIFI there !!
    of course the decor is also nice, the coffee machine is Simonelli, coffee beans are made by La Colombe, and they also serve London F&M tea in ALESSI teapots.

    The staff's denim pants and shirts look cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha I love cosy little cafes too! it's interesting that there's not as much in HK as in Aus. a rose latte sounds divine! :)

    Metallic Paws

    ReplyDelete