Wednesday, 21 March 2012

Weekly Musings Pt 3 .

The images used in this blog post were collated over an extensive period of time. The ones that have not been watermarked by myself, have been saved from a variety of sources. If any of the images belong to you and you would like me to credit you or remove it, please feel free to email me - mynameisvalentine20@hotmail.com

EXID - Best Thing I Never Had [Cover]


I can't say I was a huge fan of Beyonce's 'Best Thing I Never Had' when it first came out. I still can't pinpoint the exact reason. Maybe it's because Beyonce's voice is too raspy, forceful and demanding in this song.

But when I heard this version of it, I fell in love. Her voice is clearer than Beyonce's and amazingly enough, I can hear and understand each word she's singing. I swear there were some phrases that Beyonce rushed through in the original and all I heard was a string of sounds and no words.

I think everyone has there own special 'best thing I never had'.

Am I right?

As time goes by, the more I find myself believing that things really are meant to be. I know it sounds haphazard and vague, but maybe things do happen for a reason. At the time, it might be devastating to not have something but later on you realise that you are better off without it. It's especially true when it comes to people and partners. It's funny when you're so blinded by love that you really can't see what's there.

Never mind how many times your girlfriends tell you how arrogant, unforgiving and rutheless that apple of your eye is, you can't seem to look away.

But that's okay. You truly are the best thing I never had. I don't regret not having you. 




Just to show how shallow I am, I will bravely reveal that I would pay extra to have my burger packaged in Burberry and fries in Hermes. I'm ashamed to admit it but I definitely would! AHAH.

Oh goodness me, who am I kidding?! I love a good gimmick and nothing beats food packaging from a fashion house. AHAH!

Realistically, I'd only be willing to pay the premium once. I'd do it purely for research purposes aka snap photos and blog about the 'experience' of it all. Then I'd go back to eating regular Maccas chips. AHAH. 

Gosh, that's even more shallow!




One time at uni, I stacked it DOWN half a step of stairs while I was talking on the phone and rolled my ankle pretty badly. My friend was on the other side of campus in a class and I SOS messaged her for help. Bless her soul, she rushed out of class and came looking for me. 

The moment she saw me, she crouched down to see my ankle swell up like an elephant's head and started whipping out her Tiger Balm to give to me. Yeap, concern was writing all over her face. And then moments later, I get a text message. It was from my friend who was standing in front of me but the text was meant for her boyfriend. 

The accidental text went something along the lines of, 'Hey babe. I'm in the library now with Valentine. She stacked it down half a step while on the phone. Hahahaha. Funniest sh*t ever!'

Yeah, that's what friends are for. 

I'm currently going through the roughest times ever. It feels like I've got to decide something that will impact on the rest of my life. It's now or never. If I mess it up, then that's it. Game over.

Besides my family, she has seen me go through it all. She knows how difficult the decision is now and she doesn't mind talking it over with me. Not once has she told me that I'm being over-dramatic or silly. All she's done is encourage me.

That's what true friends are for.




I laughed really hard when I saw this. It was really 'me' in picture form. Two years ago when I was a complete health freak and I spent way too many hours at the gym. Oh, I wish I still had that type of motivation!

In hindsight, what's wrong with being a hippo? Surely being a hippo has its own perks right? Right?




Women are unbelievably harsh on each other. I'm no saint but I make a conscious effort not to criticise another female because you honestly don't know half the stuff they go through. Unless you  have some magical ability to see through someone's eyes or live their lives, what right do you have to criticise?

Instead of criticising and pointing out each others flaws, why can't we tell each other how beautiful we are? With or without wrinkles. With or without dark eye bags. With or without freckles. With or without moles. With or without sagging skin. With or without pimples. With or without cellulite. With or without stretch marks.

I know. I know that the beauty industry will always exist and images of 'beautiful' people will perpetuate. And sure that puts enormous pressure on women to look and be a certain way. I completely understand. I'm also a victim of it.

But come on. Seriously! It takes effort to criticise! Why not take the effort to look for something encouraging to say to a female? Instead of looking at what flaws we all have as women, let's tell each other that we are all uniquely beautiful. We are beautiful because of our experiences, thoughts, beliefs and interests.

If it takes sticking post-its that say 'You're beautiful. Your hair is beautiful. Your eyes are beautiful. Your future's beautiful' then so be it.





I don't know about you, but I was always a little iffy about Mr Darcy. Sure, his rugged manliness and arrogance was interesting enough. But I would prefer a 'nice guy' like Mr Bingley.
 
I don't think writing on napkins is classy. But if you're male and your cursive hand writing is as gorgeous as this, can you please write me a love note? AHAH. *hyena laugh*




This is how I dress. Plain white tees, jeans and blazer. I love wearing heels but it's just not practical to be wearing them at uni.

Why I no look as good as Gwen Paltrow?! 

Whatever I do and wherever I end up, I want to have someone holding an umbrella for me when it's raining. And I want that someone to do it because they know I'm super duper important.




Hi! My name is Valentine. Nice to meet you! What did you get up to this week?

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for such an inspirational post. My sister has that hippo/unicorn t-shirt! She bought it when she was trying to lose weight, lol. I think it is healthy to think, 'I am good enough, but I can be better', you know? I think there's always room for self-improvement, but at a comfortable pace of course. And the part about guys with gorgeous handwriting... unfortunately I have to disagree. :P I've always felt a little turned off by guys with handwriting that's a little too neat and feminine! Haha. Especially if it's neater than mine. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want some hermes fries!!
    thanks for coming by and yes I always try to keep myself positive:)
    xx
    www.vnikali.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are certainly a wise gal, no? I certainly agree, to have that inner beauty is just as important as having an outer beauty. I hope everything's alright with you, and take care of yourself!

    p.s. cute photo! seriously.. CUTE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an inspirational post. That hippo image is so cute!!

    You are so pretty - and your hair is just gorgeous! I'm trying to grow my hair longer right now but it seems to have reached its peak :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for yet another inspirational post Valentine! I love what you took from the hippo/unicorn pic, and it's very true - we need to stop obsessing over trying to be something we are not, but appreciate the beauty within!

    ReplyDelete
  6. aww you beautiful inside and out :) I agree women are far to critical of each other... why can't we have bromance ? lol. ANyway I hope you're feeling better now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So ALL this time Valentine...you've been holding out on us? You are gorgeous! I was always wondering what you looked like and thank you for sharing :) Whatever it is that you have to make a decision now and it'll impact you for ever all the best of luck. It's best to take your time in making the right decision, I made too many hasty ones and now I think it's impossible to fix lousy choices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Valentine! thankyou for your lovely comment on my blog, and of course your very insightful post. I agree with so many of your points as well. The cartoon with the hippo using the unicorn as motivation is of course cute and funny, but I think there are actually some very sad underlying messages in it.

    Firstly I'm like you, when I see that picture I think "what is wrong with being a hippo?" Every animal species has its own distinct appearance and they are all interesting and lovable in their own way. Yet humans (especially females) find it so hard to accept that we were also all born with different looks, and shouldn't we love and appreciate all those things that make us different? Our differences should be celebrated, not hated because we don't look like someone else that the media makes us idolise.

    Secondly, the other message the cartoon sends is the idea that we are striving to look like something that is IMAGINARY. A unicorn is a beautiful creature of course but it doesn't exist. Not saying that all the female celebrities and idols with such perfect body proportions and faces aren't exactly real (but are just really hard-working to achieve those figures and have also been blessed with good looks) but it just shows that often us females try so hard to achieve standards that are beyond our reach. We beat ourselves up so much to look like someone when we simply can't. That's just what I feel the simple cartoon picture conveys to me. It actually sends some pretty powerful messages and is more than a cute graphic.

    sorry for the long comment lol! but I hope this was an interesting comment at least to read in response to your post xD

    metallicpaws.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete