Friday, 4 November 2011

Review : Lancome's Hypnose Doll Eyes Mascara



Lancome's Hypnose Doll Eye Mascara was sent to me as a gift. The mascara retails for $52 in Australia. 



When it comes to lashes, I barely have any. 

I am a typical Asian girl with lashes that are short and sparse. They also have a tendency to slant downwards regardless of how much I curl them. I have zero luck with fake eyelashes because I always end up with glue in my eyes. I also have to cut the lashes up a fair bit and so I have a long piece of lash sticking out of my inner corner. It just looks so amateur and unnatural!
 
How I long to have long, luscious lashes that curl at just the right angle to make me look more awake. 




Recently, Lancome released Hypnose Doll Eyes Mascara which promises separated, thick, long and 'nylon' shine lashes. The mascara is meant to lengthen, curl and plump lashes giving you the ultimate wide-eye look. 

It definitely makes the mascara sound like a one stop shop for all your mascara needs. But does it really live up to all the hype?


 

When buying mascaras, the most important thing is the brush because it is the shape of it is responsible for sculpting your lashes. I am someone who has a good variety of mascaras with different brush sizes. I find that the smaller the brush, the easier it is to lengthen my lashes and therefore the more natural look. The thicker the brush and closer the bristles, the more volume I get and therefore is great for dramatics looks.

The benefit of the Doll Eyes Mascara is that it comes in a conical brush that is designed to give you the best of both worlds. The tapered tip allows you to reach the smaller lashes in your inner corner and the thicker end of the brush allows you to give your lashes some volume.


 
 
To be honest, I haven't had much luck with this mascara. Firstly, I am a huge fan of Clinique's mascaras and I like the vast majority of them. I compare all mascaras to what I've used from Clinique and nothing works quite as well. This Doll Eyes Mascara is no different. Compared to Clinique's mascaras, this product from Lancome comes up short. 

For me, the Lancome mascara did not dramatically lengthens or separate my lashes. It did not darken, thicken, curl or voluminise my lashes either.

I found that the difficulty with this mascara is that you have to coat your lashes gently and lightly. I tried applying it quickly and I ended up with clumps and scary spider legs poking out of my eyes. It made my few lashes look even more lonely.

I also curled my lashes before I used the mascara and initially it seemed to hold the curl pretty well. However, within a few minutes, my lashes were drooping.




The Doll Eyes Mascara only gave my lashes the tiniest bit of colour. When I tried to coat it with a bit more product, all I got were clumped and droopy lashes. I actually swiped the brush onto the back of my hand to see if there was actually any product in the tube. 

One of my pet hates is getting a mascara that's already dry and then having to bring it back to the counter for a refund. Because we all know how difficult it is to get sale consultants to refund or exchange a beauty product that you've opened. . .and swatched. 

I swiped it three times on the back of my hand. The bottom splash of colour is two swipes of the brush and on top I've got one swipe. To me, it looks as if my mascara didn't have much product in it  to begin with.

Having said that, I bought a Diorshow mascara last year and had the same result on the back of my hand. I took it back and the consultant said that was normal and that Diorshow mascaras aren't wet with product. Maybe that's the same with Lancome?




Just for comparison, my Clinique Lash Power Mascara is on it's last leg and when I swiped it on the back of my hand. I still have heaps of product! Generally speaking, Clinique mascaras are wetter than most and that's the way I like it. At least my lashes will get some colour, regardless of the effect.

I kind of expected a fair bit from the Doll Eyes hype. When you say Doll Eyes, I think of vibrant anime looking eyes that have long, luscious, dark and voluminous lashes. Unfortunately, Lancome's Hypnose Doll Eyes hasn't done that for my lashes. At the most, it lengthens and separates.

So this mascara does not have much use for me. There are probably cheaper, even drugstore, alternatives to Doll Eyes

11 comments:

  1. now that you compared this with clinique lash power mascara, I feel like I got interested with the clinique mascara tho, he2, thanks for the review :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoa! Seems nice brush! x)♪

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautifull pictures! i loooove make up!
    Nice blog!
    I invite you to see my blog, and if you like it, you could follow me! i 'll do the same!
    kisses
    Miriamstella

    Is Fashion my Passion? the MiriamStella's Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review. I was really intrigued by this mascara when it first came out but after reading many reviews I think I'll save my money for something else! My lashes are barely there also - I share your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had much luck with Lancome mascaras despite the hype.
    The only mascaras that work for me are the Japanese branded ones. I think they cater better for short, stubborn, Asian lashes. :P
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the hynose mascara I noticed is dryer than the usual wet mascaras and I have to agree with you, this mascara has to be applied slowly :( it works quite well on me though and is my aunt's favourite too.. so I guess it's a hype amongst woman with longer and less stubborn eyelashes?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haiz... And I thought this one lived through all the hype, maybe it does fall short on Asian lashes. I've been using Clinique High Impact mascara and I don't have any complaints about it, I've been using it for years now. Though occasionally I do wish to try out these new innovations in mascara, esp. since doll eyes are the rage in Asia these days lol. Thanks for sharing, love. This review has been so helpful to me.

    Cheers,

    Wi
    A Single Girl's Musings

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been interested to read reviews on this mascara. I like that the wand is tapered, but bummer that it didn't work out for you.

    I like mascara wands that are medium length and narrow - seems to work better for my sparse lashes. Do you recommend any from Clinique hun?

    ReplyDelete
  9. the packaging is so cute that i was tempted to buy it! but i find that MOST high-end brand mascaras never work on my asian lashes >.< esp if its not waterproof. it sucks that you got a dried up one too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Asian lashes are by nature short and harder to curl so I know the feeling. I have to run my eyelash curler several times from the end to the tip to create curl. I then prime and then use maybelline falsies. I think it has worked wonders for my short lashes. The mascara I like from Lancome is Definicils but it is a bit pricey as I toss my mascara every 6 weeks due to sensitive eyes! So sorry that this didn't live up to the hype :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely effect!!!amazing blog!!!! i'm following you!!!if you like mine,do the same!!!

    ReplyDelete