Wednesday, 10 August 2011

Review : Neutrogena's UltraSheer Pure-Mild Sunblock Lotion SPF 50+

Product : Neutrogena's 'UltraSheer Pure-Mild Sunblock Lotion SPF 50+'
Made In : Korea
Purchased From : Watsons, Hong Kong
Quantity : 80ml





FROM THE BACK OF THE PRODUCT
Neutrogena UltraSheer Pure-Mild Sunblock Lotion SPF50+ PA+++ provides effective UVA/UVB protection with PureScreen, a powerful blend of naturally-sourced mineral sunscreen ingredients. The extra-gentle formula is clinically tested to be mild on delicate, sensitive skin.

- hypoallergenic
- oil free/fragrance free/PABA free
- waterpoorf/sweatproof
- won't clog pores




I only started wearing sunscreen this year after seeing some freckles developing on my face. I know, I know - I should have started earlier! But I really don't like that sticky sunscreen feeling on my skin. And don't even get me started on that white-cast/gray shadow that you get after applying the product on your face. Until this year, my skincare philosophy was the less I put on my face, the better. This was mainly because my skin was in the worst condition imaginable. It was sensitive, thin, very dry and even my dermatologist was at a lost. My daytime skin routine was a quick wash with warm water, moisturise with heavy duty Hydraderm Sorbolene or Clinique's Moisture Surge before heading out the door. That's how it's always been.

My mother has always been hassling me about wearing sunscreen because sun damage is the most difficult skin problem to reverse.

I guess all that time spent lazing on the uni lawns was a bad idea after all...

A few people have recommended Neutrogena sunblocks/sunscreens, saying that they're excellent sun products. Most people seem to compliment that they are very light, absorb quickly into the skin and does not leave your face with a gray mask.

This is one of the main reasons that attracted me to Ultra Sheer Pure Mild. Additionally, it is SPF50+ and is designed for delicate and sensitive skin.




At first, I thought the opening was unneccessarily big. But I realised later on that this product is not only for the face, but also the body. Hence, a bigger hole will make this dispensing of product quicker and easier.

It's not much of a help for me since it's winter over here and I was going to use the sunblock mainly for my face.




The good thing about this sunblock is that if you use sparingly, it feels light on the skin. Its texture is similar to a lotion, except that it is less runny and a bit heavier. 

When spreading the product over your face, you have to work quickly as the lotion tends to dry or set on your skin immediately. 

You can see in the above photos that where the lotion is thinning, the product is already setting into my skin.




Here you can see more clearly how the lotion is drying up. It has not be thoroughly rubbed into my skin yet, but you can get a feel for how the product seems to sink in without much rubbing. 

RESULT
The good thing about this sunblock as it is not sticky and does not have an offensive, persistent smell. There is a chemical type of smell, but it's nothing unbearable.

As for the problems, there are a good few. The product dries too quickly onto my skin and is difficult to spread. When I tried to rub the formula out more, I ended up with white splotches over my face.  Because of this, I tend to put on more product than neccessary, making my face heavy and cakey. The product gives my face a white/gray mask which makes me look sickly and unwell.  

My biggest compliant would be that my face feels dry and chalky after the sunblock. It feels dehydrated as the finish is so matte and oil-absorbing. In addition, this product made me break out on my forehead. It is now marked with small bumps that are proving excessively difficult to remove. It's been two months and I have no idea what they are, let alone what to do about them!

Argh! This has to be the worst product I've come across this year!

Like with most products that do not work for me because they are not moisturising enough, I firmly believe that this Neutrogena sunblock would be great for individuals with oily skin. It seems that the product absorbs oil and minimises shine due to its dry to the touch formula. I imagine that this would be heaven sent for oily people!

What's your current sunscreen?

11 comments:

  1. i've tried a couple neutrogene sunscreens & they dry out my face too! i had no idea they're made in korea tho! i prefer sunscreens that are in liquid/milky form. much easier to spread & blend. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiiii! Thanks for commenting on my blog! And thanks for the review I've been wanting to try this out for ages haha! I'm currently using sunscreen from thefaceshop. I'm following you now btw, mind following back? :D

    http://theshoebunny.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this review! I'm currently using Biore UV Bright Face milk :D
    it's nice and doesn't break me out <3

    cominica.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shame that this product didn't work out well! :(

    http://helloitschloe.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice! xo



    p.s. I'm having a sunglasses giveaway if you'd like to check it out!
    devorelebeaumonstre.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ ShinyPrettyThings - Good to hear that I'm not the only one! Yeah I'm on the lookout for sunscreens that are more liquid-y and less dry!

    @ The Shoe Bunny - Thanks for dropping by! I haven't used anything from thefaceshop. Will check it otu when I have a chance.

    @ cominica - No worries. That's good that the Biore product doesn't break me out. That's always a good thing!

    @ Chloe Nghiem - I know, right? Now I don't know what to do with the tube =( Hate wasting!

    @ decorelebeaumonstre - Thank you for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for sharing such an honest review! my current sunblock would be le tan coconut lotion, it has a wonderful coconut fragrance :D anyway, thanks for following me, following you back<3 xx misstea & co.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ m i s s . t e a - No worries! Thank you for leaving a comment and following! The Le Tan lotion is next on my list of sunscreens to try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. currently im using the L'oreal UVPerfect Mat 30SPF.. Still not my Holy grail sunscreen but still nice. I found that the Biore UV Perfect Milk SPF 50 is a good one too! <3 But that one is mainly for body, but i use it for face too. They feel so soft after using it by my opinion! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Valentine! Thank you for your comment! I think Nivea is pretty good for those who tend to have dry skin! :) I am going to post a lot of beauty secrets consistently, so plz keep on following me up! ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Sabrina - A second recommendation for Biore's! I'll have to add that one to my 'to try list'.

    @ LiLy - What a coincidence, I just got a Nivea package in the mail today! Thank you for following!

    ReplyDelete