Sunday, 14 August 2011

Look What I Conquered Today! Meet 'Blue', 'Lyric' and 'Blair' .



I just want to say a thank you to all the lovely people who left a comment in my last post hoping/wishing that I would have a better day today. You're all too sweet <3

Today was 100% better!

I was at the Sydney International Spa and Beauty Expo which is an industry event where the spa and beauty industry congregate together to share ideas, products, treatments, equipment, tools and services. This event is closed to only traders within the industry but I was there accompanying my friend who is a freelance make-up artist. She came to see the make up products on offer and I tagged along for the nail polish!

There were two OPI stands there and they were selling their bottles for $10, which is just about half price off retail. They also were selling those super adorable OPI mini nail polish packs for $15. I'm not sure how much they usually are but I imagine that, that would be a pretty big bargain as well!  Oh and if you bought 10 nail polishes, they gave you one for free! Unfortunately, they selection was a bit limited and I didn't stay for that long because people kept pushing and nudging me out of the way!

Nonetheless, I picked up Shatter in Blue. 

I was never into the whole shatter craze. Before OPI had their shatter range, I tried a few shatters from other brands and they never created a pattern that I liked. But when I saw Cosmetic Cupcake's post on OPI's Blue Shatter, I was completely sold. I love electric blue!

2 coats of Rimmel's I Love Lasting Finish in 239 Your Majesty and 1 coat of Shatter by OPI in Blue


I'm going to have to remove it later anyway because tomorrow I'm going somewhere that is non-shatter friendly. AHAH. But this is what my first attempt looked like.

I'm going to have to play around with it because sometimes the shatter comes out really nicely and other times it just looks wrong! But I love how the polish shatters immediately and that there is next to no waiting time. I am an instantaneous person and I like to see results happen before my eyes. The other shatters that I've tried make you wait and wait. . .and wait some more.



I became a fan of Zoya after I bought a bottle last year in Hong Kong. I would say that I prefer Zoya to OPI. I find that the brushes are thinner and sturdier, which makes application much easier for my shaky hands. Unfortunately, Zoya has only two stockists in my state and even then, they are absolutely no where near me.

I bought 'Lyric', a sandy nude and 'Blair', a blackberry red with a hint of purple. I bought 'Lyric' for myself and 'Blair' for my mother who loves dark shiny reds. The selection at the Zoya stall was, again, smaller than I imagined and so I wasn't able to pick up any other shades. I wish I had found more colours because they were only $8.50 each. Usually they retail for $17!

It seems I'm just a simple girl after all. Almost half price off nail polishes makes me happy. 

23 comments:

  1. Like the blue one! Yet, I thought just applying the beige and red one by one on both your nails can be cool like an adult career women! ←wat? lol
    Anyways, thank you for posting that! I got a new idea;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea OPI and Zoya nail polish were so expensive in Australia (that is where you live right?) In the US Opi is $8.50 a bottle, I couldn't imagine it to cost $20 and the same goes for Zoya! Glad you stocked up at the event. I glad to know there is another person who must wash her dishes 2x otherwise it doesn't feel clean..and no, i don't regret going to Juliard. Music industry is quite competitive and I don't think I'd like to be a starving artist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh they are expensive without the discount :O
    But the colors are nice ;) I like the blue one! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad that you didn't invite me.... jk :D I like the Zoya shades you got! I wonder how Lyric will turn out when applied cause it's such a pretty shade.

    http://helloitschloe.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. great haul!! i've always been curious how the blue shatter looks. i like it!! and wow... the polishes cost SO much more over there. eek!! but i love zoya polishes! the formula is great =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello , nice blog :)

    follow each other ? if you already following me , i'll do that too .

    http://vaniaclarissa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. We do like the Zoya nail polishes and they are fairly priced. Glad to see a review/example on the shatter nail polish. We have been wanting to try it out!

    Heather & Kayla
    www.hkstylejourney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ LiLy - AHAH if I end up doing the nude and red on alternate nails, I'll definitely put up a photo just for you!

    @ B.Inspired - What?! $8.50 ONLY?! Oh my goodness! And the same with Zoya?! *faints* It's seriously outrageous how expensive beauty products are compared to other countries, especially the US and Asia. I wish they had a wider collection at the Expo so I could have bought more!

    @ MayClover - Yeah they are really expensive! Thanks for commenting!

    @ Chloe Nghiem - LOL it was an industry event so it was closed to the public. My friend was only allowed to invite one person! Next time something beauty related happens, I'll give you a heads up!

    @ ShinyPrettyThings - I agree! The good thing about Zoya is that their formula is good. It's less. . .watery compared to OPI? Like it's consistency is a bit thicker and the colour comes out more pigmented?

    @ Vania Clarissa - Thank you for your comment and thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Style Journey - That's good that the Zoya polishes are reasonably priced where you are! Do have a go at OPI's shatter. They shatter immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! OPI is just perfect.

    xx
    en la moda

    kristellouisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally loving the bright cobalt polish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like it, looks great. I love the BLUE POLISH =)
    -Adriana
    http://thelittlepetite.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I love the OPI mermaid tears! Lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These colors are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for your sweet comment! You're so gorgeous, I mean, look at your profile picture! You have beautiful eyes. Thanks again :)

    xx
    en la moda

    http://kristellouisa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey !
    I love that crack effect nail polish ! It's really cool :)
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. The blue crackle looks so pretty on your nails~

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for leaving such a nice comment on my blog- I like your blog too so I'm following you back ^^ the blue shatter looks awesome! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. The blue one looks amazing!
    Thanks for the lovely comment :)

    threadbareaffair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. @ Kristel Louisa - Thank you for your kind comment and for dropping! Looking forward to your next post!

    @ Jess - Gorgeous, right? Thanks for visiting!

    @ Little Petite - I love the blue as well! Love electric blue. It's just so out there! Thank you for following!

    @ Clochette - Thanks for your comment!

    @ Nelah - I know, right? Thank you for commenting!

    @ Kimberly Capeto - I'm liking the effect as well. I'm thinking of buying the black shatter now!

    @ PopBlush - Aww thanks for your comment!

    @ michelle_ - Agreed!

    @ Amy - Ahah thank you for following back!

    @ Maggie - No worries! Thank you for visiting and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  21. loving all your polish colors!! especially the blue <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. @ augustalolita - Hey! I love the electric blue the most!

    ReplyDelete