Saturday, 16 July 2011

Toast Box, Mong Kok







Besides yogurt, I am a huge fan of bread. Like HUGE fan. Bread actually makes me happy. Staring at bread in the supermarket and bread shop is a favourite pastime. Smelling fresh bread that's come straight out of the oven is a secret pleasure. AHAH.

That's why low-carb diets are a terror. Although they work, they're a massive terror for me.

I was shopping at Langham Place, Mong Kok when I spotted Toast Box, a Singaporean restaurant chain known predominately for their cup of Nanyang Kopi, thick grilled toast and soft-boiled eggs.

Unfortunately, the coffee was too sweet for me. The toast was too burnt - and this is coming from someone who likes to toast the living daylights out of her bread. The kaya spread on my toast was also too sweet, which was a shame because I like kaya! And my fried egg, although cooked perfectly, was flavourless. When I asked a waitress for salt, she gave me the strangest look as if no one had ever requested for extra flavouring! AHAH.

The pork floss toast was also mediocre.

I would have been happier with a Hong Kong-style ham and egg sandwich.

Having said that, the seating area is really comfortable and relaxing. It's like a patio, decorated with white coloured wood furnishing and the tall glass windows overlooking Langham Hotel makes you feel like you're a world away from the hustle and bustle of Mong Kok.

No comments:

Post a Comment