Monday, 18 July 2011

Mall Cafe, Tsim Tsa Tsui

This will be my last Hong Kong food post! Yay! Despite taking a gazillion food photos with the intention of sharing them with everyone, I am bugging to write a review. Skincare has really become my life and I have a lot of products that I want to tell you about!

I do have one more holiday post coming up soon about my short trip in Macau.

Anyway, so I'm going to keep this short. If you want to or are thinking of going to the Mall Cafe at Tsim Tsa Tsui's YMCA, then I insist you reconsider. Actually, just don't bother.




It wouldn't be a trip to Hong Kong unless I spent at least one day accompanying my mother to meet up with family friends. On one of these occasions, we ended up at the Tsim Tsa Tsui YWCA's 'Mall Cafe' after inspecting the long line for high tea at the Peninsula. 

With my mother, I ordered a high tea for two at the price of $168HK, I think it was. 

First came our lattes. The first thing I always do when I get my coffee is push away the foam to see how much liquid is in my cup. I don't know why, it's really just a habit. 

So I pushed away the foam and found that I only had half a cup of coffee. I might as well have ordered a cappuccino because all that was missing was the chocolate dusting. My auntie immediately flagged down a waiter and told them there wasn't much coffee in my cup.

Now you'd think that, that would mean they would bring me a brand new cup of coffee, right? Right? Am I wrong in assuming so?




Were my expectations too high? Because after about 15 minutes, the waiter came back with this. Yeah, I'm pretty sure they just poured coffee straight in the middle instead of making a new one. 

And no, it wasn't good coffee.



Now onto our actual tea set. The only thing I enjoyed was the chicken satay. I didn't bother with the sauce - it looked too watery. The bread was stale. The sugar on my creme brulee hadn't been torched. The cake tasted really 'Asian' - does that make much sense? It just didn't tasted right. The scones were as hard as rocks! The apple tart was okay. 

I was pretty shocked considering that the restaurant's setting is quite relaxing and spacious. We were able to have long conversations inside without being disturbed or being a nuance to anyone else. It was really a shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment