Wednesday, 23 February 2011

Review : Maybelline's Baby Lips Lip Balm

Product : Maybelline's Baby Lips Lip Balm
Made In : China
Purchased from : Sample
Price : Free. Original Price $3.95
Where Can You Buy It : Priceline, Kmart, Big W, Woolworths
Re-purchase : Yes


Description :

Say goodbye to basic lip balm and rediscover the lips you were born to have!

- Lips are instantly moisturised for up to 8 hours.
- Contains active care ingredients, such as shea butter and centella.
- Vitamin Complex delivering powerful anti-oxidants.
- SPF 20 for protection against harmful UV rays.
- After 4 weeks lips are deeply repaired, completely reborn. Guaranteed.

Available in four tempting flavours:
- Energizing Orange
- Smoothing Cherry
- Menthol
- Anti-Oxidant Berry"

How Did I Get It As a Sample?
Oh, bless universities for having Orientation Week aka those few days of uni life where you feel a sense an entitlement to free pens, notepads, lanyards, frisbees, lollies and at least one free meal.

In my time, I've seen all of the above being given out at uni gates and all around campus. I've also pulled shavers, blackhead cream, shampoo, conditioner, facial scrub, deodorant and toothbrushes out of free canvas bags. Usually, they're not anything out of the ordinary.

But this year I scored a lipbalm that was apparently only released in January =)

Background
Admittedly, I am not a big lipstick person. I am also not a big lipgloss person either. I am actually not a big lip-anything person! I really, really, really don't like the feeling of sticky product on my lips. I've got long hair which I usually wear out and sometimes I'll get strands of hair stuck on my lips - just plain annoying! Psychologically, I keep thinking about the amount of dust sticking onto my lips! Ahah.

On top of that, it seems that my sensitive skin makes it even more difficult to find a lip product that won't give me a stinging sensation.

It has been a good few years since I last bought a lipgloss or lipbalm. A tub of Vaseline was probably the last things I bought for my lips and it's somewhere sitting in my bathroom.

Now although I have very sensitive skin, I am still willing to give everything a go. After all, how do you know it doesn't work unless you try? Right?

Packaging
The packaging for Baby Lips is absolutely adorable. Baby pink, baby blue - my type of girly advertising! The font immediately reminded me of Louis Vuttion x Stephen Sprouse's graffti bags except this lip balm was in block letters. Very similar and very cute!




I received the Anti-Oxidant Berry one and I was a bit too eager to try so I ripped it out of its package before taking photos. But I did try to piece it back together! Points for trying? =)

Thoughts
The lip balm smells of raspberries and luckily it isn't overpowering or fake smelling. That's another one of my pet-peeves!

I found that unlike other lipbalms I've tried, this one glides on really smoothly and isn't as sticky. It still gives you a soft finish and it makes your lips feel and look very hydrated.

I also loved that there was a light neutralising tint that gave my lips this babyish look. The best way to describe it is that my lips got coated with a pale and slightly glossy pink shade. It didn't come out as pale or as pink as what is shown on the packaging though and I think it is unrealistic to think that you will get that colour from this lip balm. I've been using it for a few days and I have noticed that with each time I put it on, it goes on a bit shiner. Which is okay because it can also double up as a lipgloss!

Oh! I also didn't get an itching or stinging sensation on my lips. Been using it for a few days now and my lips haven't started peeling either. So you know what that means?

Verdict :
I'm going back for seconds! It's cheap, it's not overly scented, it's not sticky and I like the colour. That's good enough for me.

2 comments:

  1. this is so cute!!!!! Wish the one in msia is as cute as this!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ nicole - Hi! The packaging is cute, isn't it? Oh, is it packaged differently in Malaysia? What does it look like?

    ReplyDelete